Pages

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Homesick


   I'm in Florida visiting a close family member who's been taken ill.  It's a hard situation, made slightly easier by the view from my hotel bed.




   I'm missing Scot and our Lucky very, very much.  But a small compensation for being so far from home is the constant presence of lovely dogs.  Everywhere I go, it's dogs galore, especially on the beach just by the hotel.
   I'm pleased to see that this part of Florida hasn't given in to the American mania for keeping dogs on the lead at all times.  I go for a morning swim at sunrise every day, and there are lots of happy pups running freely.
   This morning, an absolutely adorable little dog of non-specific heritage came up to me with a tennis ball in his mouth, just as I was at the shore and about to take the plunge.  It was high tide, and he didn't seem to be with anyone.  He dropped the ball at my feet; I picked it up, and threw.  As he chased the ball, I dove into the water.
   The waves were high and the surf was choppy, but the water was warm and lovely.  After about a minute, I turned around, and here was this little dog, swimming next to me, with the ball in his mouth!
   I was actually afraid that he might go under, but I soon realised that, no, this wasn't his first time in rough seas.  We swam together for a minute, then he was called to the shore, and off he went.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment