Pages

Wednesday 16 November 2022

Lucky At Twilight

 

   Lucky had his tenth birthday in July. His great-uncle, out first boy Truman, lived to the age of 11 1/2, which is the age Lucky will be in around 1 year. The slowing down process started a long time ago, and this year, we've seen the acceleration we were expecting.

   For many people, thinking about the impending end of a beloved pet's life is something to be avoided. I don't subscribe to this. I've lived every stage of Lucky's life fully and with open eyes, and I've intentionally borne in mind the fact that I would lose him one day. This is one of the things which keeps me present with him, living in the moment, and appreciating each wonderful day that we're able to spend together. 

   It also has the curious effect of seeming to slow time down, as I experienced fully in the happy last years of Truman's life. I was bereft when I lost him, but I had no regrets. I knew I hadn't wasted a single minute of his life. Since 2011 when Truman left, this sense of awareness of the timeline of life, Lucky's in particular, has sharpened. Part of the reason is my part-time working life and the increased time it allows me to be with him, but I think my age, I recently turned 60, is a bigger factor. The awareness of the fleeting nature of life, mindfulness of the importance of the moment, and a willingness to live intentionally and with love are all gifts which my time with Lucky has magnified.

   We're about to head up our favourite hill for our near-daily walk. It used to take 45 minutes round trip from our front door, even with all of the stopping to be with the friendly people who always gravitate to Lucky in admiration and kindness. It now takes 1 hour and 15 minutes, sometimes longer, and it's better. It's just one of my many times to fully be with him, and to completely live in the joy he brings to me, and the deep love I feel for him. 

   This was Lucky at 7am today. 



 

   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment