Pages

Friday 26 July 2013

Lucky Charms

   As I've been out and about with Lucky over the last few weeks, I've had a lot of time to think.  I had forgotten how much having a dog engages you with other people around town.  Some people want to avoid us, and I can understand this; he's a very big dog, and although I know he is a big softy, he can scare some people. Others may not be dog people, or have had bad experiences in the past.  However a lot of people do say hello, and the ones with dogs will quite often stop to let them suss each other out.  Lucky is always so friendly to the pooches he meets!  And Yank and I are meeting and talking to so many of our neighbours, which  is great too.   There are so many nice people on our street!  


  Today as we were heading for our after lunch walk we met one of our neighbours, Fi, with her dog Garbo, who was very vocal!  Lucky seemed to like her though.  Once we were onto the main road, a man in a van whistled at Lucky from across the street and shouted 'beautiful dog mate!'  At the foot of Arthur's Seat we met a lovely wee terrier and I chatted for quite a while with his owner about behaviour, recall and the best walks around the park.  Finally, just before getting home we bumped into a barman at our local with his wee dog, Georgie, and we stopped to pass the time of day.  I'm certainly benefiting from these interactions.  I had forgotten how much I like chatting!

  After a seriously long spell of settled, sunny weather it has been nice to have a little change.  The last couple of days have brought several huge thunderstorms.   The first one unsettled Lucky a little bit,  but I didn't react; the second one he slept through!  We have also had some proper Scotch Mist, making for some very dramatic scenery on our walks.  It was quite strange being up on the Crags yesterday and looking out onto a wall of white, and knowing the drop that was there and missing the view that is normally there.  Today has brought a mixed bag of sunshine and showers.  We have been lucky and hit the sunshine both times today.  Lucky doesn't mind the rain as much as our Truman did, but I definitely prefer to be out in the sun!

  I'm just in from my final walk of the day, dodging yet more rain and meeting two lovely ladies who called me over the road so they could meet Lucky.  One had a Ridgeback herself back at home called Rocky,  and we nattered for quite a while about the breed and their temperament.

  Tomorrow we will be heading to Haddington to meet with Heather from Posh Pets for some training which I always look forward to.  We will hopefully get a couple of good walks in too.

No comments:

Post a Comment